Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A week in Sanwa

Well, I've been in Japan for a little over a week, and in Ibaraki now for a full week. I am sorry for the lack of updates and pictures, but it seems that I currently have no internet in my apartment. Once that is up, there will be pleanty of pictures and stories. For now you just have my words typed hastely at work.

So far things have been facinating. I find it hard to expound in words really. There have of course been ups and downs. I've been living off about $130 in Japanese money for a week since things with my bank accounts have been a little haywire. I'm down to $60. So yeah, lets hope all gets sorted soon, or I may be panhandling on the streets of Koga. Still, thats about the worst of it, and I'm fine with it.

What I really would like to post is some of the technology I've seen here. Cellphones that make American cellphones look like the large boxy beepers that were out 15 years ago. I can get a 3.1 megapixel phone with video, internet, train schedules and a whole myriad of other things for the low low price of free. This is because these phones are last years models, and it's no longer a cool phone unless it has TV on it. So yeah, that is pretty sweet. I'll have to send some old ones to Maharam's IT department to go with all the European ones that are lying around there. If you are reading this John or Sal, let me tell you, the coolest thing I have seen is my co-workers stereo. This thing takes up half the dash and plays DVDs, CDs, TV, radio, it has a memory card reader, a hard drive and a touch display screen. I think the thing came to 2000 dollars apparently. It is sick. I will post pictures of this monstrosity later.

What else? So much else. I was in a festival in Mito this weekend, dressed in a Yukata and all. A Yukata, btw, is like a summer kimono of sorts. Once again, if I get some pics of it from friends, you are all in on them. The festival, called Matsuri, was incredible. People yelling and singing on movable shrines on wheels being carted around by hundreds of people playing drums. Men and women running around in kimono. Paper lanterns and little kids abound. It was like the entire city's guard was dropped, and everyone was having a great time. Though marching for 4 hours straight did tucker me out I have to admit.

Small fun fact; the Japanese do not have any "God bless you" equilivlant for when someone sneezes. Someone sneezed, I said God bless you, and everyone stared at me like I had 5 heads. Kind of funny. I've definitly had my share of messups thus far, but it has been a very fun learning experiance.

Well, I just got done playing basketball with the guys team, and I am about to fall down. I'll give you guys more info later.

If anyone has random questions or wants me to try something while I'm here and let them know how it is, shoot me an email or leave me a comment.

Later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

rickster-awesome site-you're not having too good a time, ican tell-was remembering with Mr. Bavosa how we used to see you cruising down the halls always in the company of a couple of friends-saw mom yesterday and she says you're traveling for xmas-call me-all is well here-lucy sends regards-peace-coach-ps-great photos